The word columbarium comes from Latin and translates as "a compartmentalized house for doves," the gentle birds mentioned in Holy Scripture and recognized symbols of peace. Our Columbarium is a place for reflection and remembrance, a part of our parish's ongoing ministry to both the living and the dead. It is a comfortable place, a place for family and friends to gather in love and remembrance -- a consoling link between life and death.
The Columbarium offers a modestly priced, aesthetically pleasing, and ecologically sound alternative to burial. As an extension of the parish, it is solemnly blessed, or "consecrated," by the Bishop or his delegate. With a soothing water feature and small garden, it is a place to reflect and pray.
The Columbarium is located at the north end of the Worship Space. The Columbarium grounds can be accessed on its eastern and western sides or directly from the Worship Space using the doors behind the Ambo. The Columbarium has been built instages, with the original phase consisting of 4 walls with three sections in which niches can be placed. Two walls have all three sections for a total of 120 niches. The other two walls have the middle section of 56 niches available. One of these walls is dedicated and reserved for the Knights of Columbus and their families. These other walls can be expanded to the full 120 niches in the future. In addition, there are two partial walls in the current phase that will be built out as needed.
Inside the Columbarium area, there are memorial naming opportunities, including pavers and benches.
If you would like additional information on the availability of the niches or have any questions about the naming opportunities, contact Deacon David Nemetz at (804) 527-1037, ext. 19 or email@example.com